HANDS-ON The Secret to Power, Precision and Prevention: Advanced Reinforced Periodontal Scaling Techniques
Presented by Diane Millar, RDH, MA
Participate in a hands-on scaling experience designed to enhance scaling efficacy and proper ergonomics in order to prevent work related pain, musculoskeletal injuries and disability. Through video clips and hands-on participation using instruments with wider handles, learn reinforced scaling techniques in every quadrant on a typodont model attached to a portable simulation unit.
Learning Outcomes -Upon completion of this course, the participant will:
1. Be able to demonstrate advanced instrumentation techniques, ideal fulcrum rests and proper ergonomics while scaling.
2. Have a thorough understanding of the importance of using the larger muscle groups while scaling to enhance ergonomic efficacy.
3. Learn ideal postural strategies while scaling, which can help prevent career-ending injuries.
1. Reinforced periodontal instrumentation scaling techniques and ideal fulcrum rests will be shown on photos and video clips. Attendees will then demonstrate the techniques on a typodont attached to a portable simulation unit using ergonomically designed instruments with wider handles.
2. Attendees will demonstrate neutral hand, wrist and arm positions during the scaling exercises. The implementation of larger muscle groups in the arms will be incorporated during the workshop in order to obtain increased lateral pressure, precision and help prevent injury to the smaller muscles in the hands and wrists.
3. An overview of musculoskeletal pain and the impact on the dental hygiene profession will be discussed. Suggestions for improved posture while practicing will be emphasized, demonstrated and practiced by attendees during the workshop.
Diane Millar, RDH, MA has worked in dental hygiene for 36 years as a clinician, educator, business owner, author and speaker. She holds a BA in Health Science:Health Care from CSU Long Beach and an MA in Education from Pepperdine. Currently, she teaches at West Coast University and works in private practice in Newport Beach, California.
Date: Saturday, March 25, 2017
Time: Session #1 9:00am - 12:00pm - SOLD OUT
Session #2 1:30pm - 4:30pm (repeat of Session #1) - SOLD OUT
Rate: MDDS Member $125
MDDS Member Staff $125
Non-MDDS Member $155
Non-MDDS Member Staff $155
CE Credits: 3
Cancellation Deadline: March 17, 2017
Registration Deadline: March 22, 2017
3 Easy Ways to Register
Online - available 24 hours/day
Click here for online registration
Complete the registration form & fax to (303) 488-0177
Available Monday – Friday 8:00am - 5:00pm at (303) 488-9700
This course is sponsored in part by:
Cancellations will be accepted and are entitled to a refund provided they are received at MDDS by the cancellation deadline. Refunds will not be made for cancellations after the cancellation deadline.
Parking (MWDI Parking Map)
For your convenience, we have free parking in two retail garages within the Beauvallon building (east-facing side). Both garages are accessed from Lincoln Street between 9th and 10th Avenues. Parking in these garages is available on a first-come, first-served basis. ** If you are attending a large course/event at the MWDI, we recommend arriving early in case the garages fill and alternative parking must be secured. Be aware - The garages come up quickly after you cross 9th Avenue and both have left lane entrances. All numbered spaces within both retail parking garages (without "Reserved" signs) are available on a first-come, first-served basis. Do not park in any spaces marked "Matrix" or “KCNC.” Do not park in the residential parking. Residential garages are at the back of the retail garages. The north and south garages are not connected. Both have open parking available. See attachment for more information.