Twelfth Amendment to Public Health Order 20-29
March 11, 2021
By: Colorado Dental Association
Last night, CDPHE released the 12th amended Public Health Order that impacts dental procedures and treatment.
The latest revision of PHO 20-29 made substantial changes and the CDA and Colorado Dental Hygienists’ Association (CODHA) are working together to obtain additional guidance from CDPHE and DORA.
The PHO that for the past year has been up to 26 pages in length is now three pages long and has removed its former guidelines and requirements for dental providers and offices. Only hospital requirements remain in PHO 20-29.
While the state guidelines under PHO 20-29 have been lifted, it is important to continue practicing with elevated precautions, recognizing that most patients still have not received their COVID-19 vaccination(s).
The CDA and CODHA encourage dental practices to continue following the federal CDC and OSHA guidelines:
- CDC Facility Planning and Operations for COVID-19
- CDC Guidance for Dental Settings
- OSHA COVID-19 Control and Prevention for Dentistry Workers
Noted changes that appear in this 12th amended version of PHO 20-29.
- As of March 9, 2021, there were 438,025 known cases of COVID-19 in Colorado. 6,035 Coloradans have died from COVID-19.
- All specific guidelines and requirements have been removed for dental providers in relation to COVID-19, however, the PHO still aims “to minimize the risk of COVID-19 transmission to patients, healthcare workers, community members, and others by promoting safety and maximizing protection while avoiding further delays in providing health care for Coloradans.”
This version of PHO 20-29 will expire 30 days from March 10, 2021 unless extended, rescinded, superseded or amended in writing.
The Metro Denver Dental Society is a not-for-profit component society of the American Dental Association and the Colorado Dental Association.